Everything for Her - Alexa Riley

Everything for Her - Alexa Riley

EVERYTHING FOR HER was one for those books that I didn't want to like but I couldn't help but devour. Let me start out by stating that this is FICTION. In real life I would have a much different opinion of the events that were laid out in this story. But, it wasn't my fault. Really. The author made me enjoy this book. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

So, this is the story of Mallory Sullivan. She's starting a new life and job in NYC and she has no idea just how her life is going to change. While out a club she meets a mysterious, sexy stranger who seems to be really into her. What she doesn't know is that there is way more to this stranger than she could have ever imagined.

I don't want to give too much away of the story but it's convoluted and twisted and I wanted to scream at the hero. But, at the same time, I wanted to love on him. Here in lies the problem I mentioned at the outset. I didn't want to like the hero and the things that he did in order to win over Mallory, but Oz was just hard to resist. I felt for Mallory, I truly did. She wanted to be strong against Oz but he was like this unstoppable force that was just determined to have her. Their chemistry leapt off the page and Oz was just sexy as all get out.  There is insta-love in this book,  but with everything else crazy happening in the story, that was easy for me to overlook.

The one aspect of the story that I didn't feel was all that necessary was the part with the dad. It was weird and not developed enough. Maybe the next book will go more into it, but it was like a footnote, and I just felt stymied by it all.

EVERYTHING FOR HER is the first book in the For Her series and I'm definitely interested in the what the next book will bring. The characters I think will be more evenly matched in this one. I felt like in this book, Mallory was like a lamb just waiting to be slaughtered by the wolf. And that made me uneasy.

Make no mistake about this, Oz was obsessed with Mallory. He did a lot of things that would be considered stalking. And yes, he never did anything to hurt her, but what happens if he does? I've seen many abusive relationships start the same way in real life, and I that kept screaming at me in the back of my mind. It's why I couldn't be all rainbows and unicorns about this story. This man, Oz, wasn't just an Alpha male. He wasn't just dominant in the bedroom. He tried to control every aspect of Mallory's life and that's a really slippery slope.  But, as I stated before, this was fiction so I was able to remove myself a bit from reality to enjoy the story itself.

Unbelievably, this is the first book I've read by this author. I've had several of her books on my TBR but I haven't gotten to them because they weren't long enough for challenges, so I was so excited to have the opportunity to review her first full length novel.

And despite the issues I had with it as outlined above, EVERYTHING FOR HER was an obsession for ME. From the preface to the epilogue that showed the couple 20 years later, I couldn't tear myself away. I had to see what was going to be unraveled or revealed next. And, honestly, I can't wait to read more of this author's work now.

*Advanced Reader's Copy provided by NetGalley and Publisher in exchange for an honest review*