The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins

The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins

So yeah, that happened.  I don't even know where to begin with this one.  Absolutely NO ONE in this book had any redeeming value.  If you ask me they all deserved each other.  I just can not believe this book.

The beginning of the book dragged for me.  There were a few times when I was going to bail.  Just have to sit through a depressed drunk ride back and forth on train lamenting how awful her life was seriously made me just want to throw in the towel.  It started to pick up though, but I still wasn't seeing what all the fuss was about.

I kinda had a feeling who the culprit was, and that there was more to that character than was being let on, but at the end, things got really bizarre.

Things got back on track (no pun intended) and made sense at the end, but honestly, I hated every last one of these characters.  I just felt wrung out at the end.  Nobody won.  Justice, I guess was served.  But when the dust settled, all that was left was a bunch of losers.  They all lost something because of the tragedy that involved all of them.

I was told that this was going to be like Gone Girl, but with that book, I felt some shock and awe.  The way it ended was beyond messed up and for weeks after I would just think about it and be floored all over again.

With this book, there was no surprise.  There was no twist, it just awful, awful and more awful.  The way the people behaved in the story wasn't so much shocking as it demoralizing.  Add to that the shifting perspectives and times, it just seemed like a chore to get through for the first 1/2 to 2/3 of the story.  It wasn't until the end when I felt like I had to  know what was going to happen next.

So, this one was just ok for me.  Maybe if I hadn't had such high hopes for it, I would of rated it higher but it didn't live up to the lofty expectations I had for it.