Unscrupulous (The Manhattanites, #2) - Avery Aster

Sexy, young rich people...check
Erotic romance...check
HEA at the end...check
No cliffhangers...check

Doing the math on UNSCRUPULOUS by Avery Aster had me super excited to read this story. Everything I love in erotic romance all wrapped up in one book, right? Well, it just goes to show that having all the necessary requirements doesn’t necessarily make something a good fit. I am disappointed to say that this book just didn’t work for me.

Don’t get me wrong, there were a few things in UNSCRUPULOUS that I did appreciate. It was funny at times. And the group of friends in the story (Blake, Lex, Taddy and Vive) while seeming completely shallow for most of the book, really did care about each other. I thought Warner was charming and perhaps the only character in the whole book besides Lex (who the first book in the series is about) who I actually liked and for whom I wanted a happy ending.

But, honestly, I just wasn’t feeling this one. I found myself rolling my eyes during a lot of story. The dialogue was over the top, there was so much gratuitous sex in there that I skipped over a lot, and then don’t get me started on the inappropriate masturbating. I won’t give any spoilers here, but I will say that an elliptical and during a pedicure are just a little too much for me.

I am one of very few dissenting opinions on this book, so I would advise people to look at other reviews before making a decision on this one. It just didn’t speak to me, but it did for a lot of people.

I will say that although I didn’t like UNSCRUPULOUS, I will read the first book in the series, UNDRESSED. That one features Lex Easton, and I really was fond of her character in UNSCRUPULOUS. I’d like to see her get her HEA.