Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) - Susan Ee

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) - Susan Ee

This book was recommended for me in a challenge last month.  I didn't get to read it then, but it came so highly recommended that I decided to read it as soon as I got a change.  Well, I'm so glad that I did because this novel blew me away!  It was totally unexpected.

I've been on a YA kick lately, but this story has completely raised the bar for me. This is the story of a girl named Penryn who's trying to survive after an angel apocalypse  where angels came down to earth to destroy humans.  Now gangs rule the street and everyone is afraid of what could be coming out of the sky.  One thing for sure, angels are the enemy.

When Penryn and her family, consisting of her crippled younger sister and her schizophrenic mother, witness an angel lose his wings at the hands of other angels, she tries to help the now wingless angel.  It turns out to be a grave mistake, however, because it brings notice to her and her family and results of angels flying off with Penryn's younger sister.

Now with only a wingless angel to help, she must find a way to save her sister.  But, she doesn't know if she can trust him--this angel who has an agenda of his own.

Penryn was an amazing heroine who do a woman of any age proud.  Also, I respected the fact that she could think beyond the chemistry that she shared with Raffe to get done what needed to get done.

Raffe was a great anti-hero.  It seems as though with this story we've only touched the surface on his character, so I'm looking forward to delving deeper there.

The lore of angels, demons, heaven, and hell is really prevalent in this story and lead to creating this post-apocalyptic world that this author created.  I could clearly see it in my head because Susan Ee weaved it so expertly.  The story started off with a bang and kept up the entire ride.  I could never find a place to stop because I had to know what was going to happen next.

Needless to say, the ending was left open.  The next part of the series, called World After, is due out next month, and I have to admit I'm waiting with bated breath to see what the next installment holds for us.

This is my novel by author Susan Ee, but it definitely won't be my last.  I loved the way she took us down a path with story.  She's got me hooked!  November 19th won't get here soon enough for me.