The Keeper of Lost Causes: A Department Q Novel - Jussi Adler-Olsen

I went into reading (well, listening) to this book with trepidation.  It's not my usual genre.  I will typically read anything that has romance in it, but this really wasn't that type of book. AND, it was Nordic Noir, which is a TOTALLY new genre for me.  To tell you the truth, I think I was more looking forward to my dentist appointment than reading this.

And then the story started to develop and was hooked.  The story flipped back and forth between 2002 and 2007, and Carl and Merete were great characters.  I just loved the way this all came together.  I figured it out how it all played out, but I loved seeing the way Carl came to solve things.

One thing that I had a hard time with was the Danish words throughout the story.  Because I listened and didn't read this, some of the words were difficult for me to figure out.  Even Merete's name was one I had to find because I couldn't figure out how it was spelled.  But, that just comes from me being totally ignorant of the language.

Anyway, this story just kept me intrigued from start to finish.  We had some story lines that were left open , so I'm hoping to see more of what's happening with those in later books. And that ending.  It just ripped my heart out.  It was unexpected but exactly the way that it should have been.

All in all, this was a great introduction to Nordic Noir.  I look forward to reading some more books in this genre.